America Welcomes Alledged Serial Killer From SA
Durban – A South African, who reportedly confessed to four murders in the United States, will stand trial for two of those murders in July.
An official from the Quay County court house in the town of Tucumcari in the US state of New Mexico confirmed that Muziwokuthula Muzi Madondo would stand trial before a jury on 29 July.
The trial is scheduled to last seven days.
Madondo has pleaded not guilty to the murders of father and son Bobby Gonzales and Gabriel Baca. Madondo allegedly shot the men in a motel in Tucumcari before fleeing to Texas, where he was arrested.
However, the scheduled trial could still be affected by a ruling on a motion to suppress evidence brought by Madondo’s lawyer Roger Bargas last year.
On 17 September, the Quay County Court heard argument about why a jury should not hear the statements Madondo made to the police after his arrest.
The judge who heard the argument, has according to the Quay County court official, still to rule on Bargas’ application.
Last year Bargas told Sapa: “We are alleging statements made [by Madondo] were taken illegally and coerced [by the police]. He talked to the police for six to eight hours.”
Bargas said that the conversations took place even though Madondo had sought a lawyer.
He said at the time that police had failed to immediately contact South African consular officials, who would have advised Madondo about his rights and about how the US legal system worked.
“With regard to the search warrant on the vehicle in Texas, we are alleging the search was illegal,” said Bargas.
Should the motions succeed, a jury will not get to hear what Madondo told the police about the murders of Gonzales and Baca.
All forensic evidence obtained from Madondo’s van will also not be presented to any potential jury.
Bargas is representing Madondo only in connection with the Gonzales and Baca murders.
He is not representing him in connection with murders he allegedly committed earlier in Ohio.
Madondo allegedly confessed to the murder of FirstMerit Bank executive Jacquelyn Hilder, 60, who was shot dead in her home in Akron, Ohio, on 17 February.
Two days later, about 300km away, the bullet-riddled body of Maritzburg College old boy Zenzele Mdadane, 25, was found in the woods in Butler Township, Ohio.
Madondo also allegedly confessed to this killing.
Madondo, 34, was arrested on 28 March 2011 in Houston, Texas.
Originally from Richmond, near Pietermaritzburg, he emigrated to the US in 2008 to study theology.
New Mexico does not have the death penalty, but if Madondo is convicted for the two murders in Ohio, he could face the death penalty.
In May last year, the Sunday Times quoted Akron police department spokesperson Michael Schaeffer as saying that he wanted to be tried in Ohio.
Ohio will wait their turn – and they know exactly how to take care of this situation.
My son serving in the army
..got his college cut but this guy got a grant funny.
Our government was even giving them grants
And when he gets acquitted and set free he will get grants again and people will feel sorry for him again and if he really is a serial killer he will kill again. Amazing the way life is today Ed.
Amazing I live in butler county Ohio..
Ed now you can see how even our exports can effect you. Even though we are worlds apart the evil can come calling no matter where you are.
How horrible!! I’ll pray that he gets tried in a state with the death penalty! : (