Eskom CEO Tshediso Matona on Monday told stakeholders that one unexpected event at any of its power stations can push the country to the total failure of the national electricity system that may take weeks to resolve.
Eskom previously said it may take two weeks to restart the electricity system, should a national black-out occur.
Matona also said load shedding can be expected from next week, according to Christo van der Rheede, CEO of the Afrikaanse Handelsinstituut who attended the meeting.
In reaction, Professor Raymond Parsons from the North West University Business School said whether Eskom can keep the lights on in the period ahead will be critical for the country’s economic prospects in 2015.
“Business people need the assurance, not only that production will not be again seriously disrupted as industry and commerce reopen this month after the holidays, but also for investors who need to have certainty if they are to commit themselves to the SA economy in the long term.’
The two-hour high level meeting on Monday afternoon was attended by about 100 representatives fom business, several consultancy firms and organised agriculture, said Henk van de Graaf, assistant executive manager of agricultural body TLU SA who was in attendance. Apart from Matona, the meeting was also addressed by Eskom chair Zola Tsotsi and attended by members of the board and the whole Eskom executive.
The media was not invited.
Matona repeated his earlier statements that Eskom is not in a crisis, because the organisation is functional but in the next breath he said we are facing a national emergency, Van der Rheede says. “How can you say the organisation is not in a crisis, but you cannot supply your product?” he asks.
“Basically it seems they are all on their knees every evening, praying that there is enough electricity,” Van der Rheede says.
Matona told the delegates that the diesel budget is depleted and Eskom is hoping for money from government “but they are not collecting [from] their municipal debtors,” says Van der Rheede.
He says it is the same government that is in charge of the non-paying municipalities and asks when this government is going to clamp down on them.
Van de Graaf said according to a calendar shown to delegates power failures [are possible] from middle January, the whole of February, March and April.
“We are concerned, because [for] farmers who rely on irrigation for growing cash crops, especially vegetables … the whole cold chain is dependent on electricity and if it cannot be preserved, the consumer will be affected.”
Van de Graaf also questioned why farmers who do not pay their full Eskom account are being disconnected, but there are no consequences for municipalities that fail to pay. He says Eskom representatives could not give a clear answer.
“We told them, whatever the name of your customer, you have to collect [from] your debtors.”
Matona told the meeting that Eskom’s interim profit of R9.3 billion will be wiped out in the second half and a mere R500 million profit is being projected for FY2014/15.
“I got the impression Eskom was giving us the facts as they are, and that we appreciate,” Van de Graaf said.
Parsons said the prolonged uncertainty around the energy outlook in SA is beginning to have a corrosive effect on investor confidence and the overall situation at the beginning of 2015 needs to be addressed at the highest level.
He called on the ‘war room’ on Eskom, created by the Cabinet last month to manage the Eskom emergency, to issue a statement on what remedial steps are being taken to rectify the short-term situation, to stabilise Eskom finances and to limit the damage which expectations of further power failures will do to business confidence.
“Already the SACCI Business Confidence Index for December 2014 released last week showed a sharp drop largely attributable to business concerns around the impact of power supply problems and load-shedding on the economy in the recent past,” Pasons said.
In its system bulletin sent out on Monday, Eskom forecast the following supply and demand for the week:
Judy Welden is an Inventor, Publisher, Recording Artist, Songwriter, Screenwriter and the Owner of Judy Welden Enterprises located in Gainesville, GA. Judy Welden is running a special offer, She is offering a 5K finders fee should someone find her a qualified company to license her hats, they will also get a choice of one of her CDs or a hat of their choosing (to be found on her websites).
During her interview on January 13th at 11am EST, Judy Welden informed the audience about her patented hats and got the word out about her Travel Club & all the benefits it has to offer you. Listeners had the chance to email her at firstname.lastname@example.org and Judy will send you information about the club and how you can join.
For additional information visit Judy’s websitehttp://www.judywelden.com!
MORENCI, MI (Toledo News Now) –The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has released brand new, age-progressed renderings of Tanner, Alexander and Andrew Skelton. Their mother Tanya Zuvers still holds on to hope.
The three brothers have been missing since Thanksgiving Day 2010. Zuvers says the age-progression photos are hard to look at. She says she still thinks of the boys as they were when she last saw them in 2010.
“Wow, how big they are,” said Zuvers. “I want my little boys back… I’ve missed those four years of growing.”
The boys were last seen with their father, John Skelton. Zuvers and Skelton were later divorced. Skelton has been locked up on wrongful imprisonment charges since 2011.
Skelton claims he gave the boys to a person he met online who promised to take care of them. Now their mother says she is ready for answers.
“Realistically I know the longer we go, the chances are less that they’re still alive,” said Zuvers. “I think my hope for now is for a resolution, whatever that may be.”
Zuvers says she knows the outcome may not be what she wants to see… but looking at their pictures she says she can’t help but hold on to hope.
“There’s always still that glimmer that it’s going to be positive and I like to focus on that glimmer,” said Zuvers.
Michigan State Police, Morenci Police and the FBI have been working on the case since 2010. The family says they are still hopeful for a resolution.
– Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.
“Independent Superstar Quote Spot”
Brought to you by Barbara Rainey.
God Is for Us
Throughout life, there will be times when our sins and failures lead us to conclude that God is disappointed or angry with us. How can He still love me after what I’ve done? If I’m really forgiven, why do I still feel so guilty? At such tiimes, we need to fix our eyes on the truth of Scripture and ask the questions Paul posed in Romans 8.
If God is for us, who is against us
(v. 31)? Our heavenly Father proved His loyalty to us when He delivered His own Son over to death in order to save us. Without Christ’s atoning death on our behalf, we would face eternal separation from God.
Who will bring a charge against God’s elect (v. 33)? No accusation against us can stand, since at the moment of salvation, the Lord justified us. This means we were legally declared righteous, while still in our sinning condition. No one can reverse this transaction and make us guilty again. To doubt our blameless standing in Christ is to declare His atonement insufficient to cover our sin.
Who is the one who condemns (v. 34)? Although Satan rails against us, Jesus’ death and resurrection are proof that we are right with God. Christ took our condemnation and gave us His righteousness in return. Now He sits at the Father’s right hand, interceding for us.
When doubts about the Lord’s love and faithfulness arise, focus on truth. If we judge His loyalty to us by our circumstances or feelings, we will never get an accurate view of God. True security lies not in our good performance, but in our relationship with Christ, and no one can take that from us